Please enjoy Chef Maria's recipes and a some other guest Chef's from our Chef Demo Hour cooking demonstrations from 1pm-2pm, every Wednesday at our Encinitas location!
If you have yet to attend one of these cooking demos, don't forget to sign up to receive our enewsletter where we send out the menu the week of the demo's so you can reserve your spot to attend. SPACE IS LIMITED but stay tuned...we will be scheduling more cooking demos in the near future. Enjoy!
Blood Orange evoo cake
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
5 Tbsp. b&o Blood Orange evoo
1 Tbsp. dark chocolate balsamic vinegar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
¾ cup water
¼ cup Eat This Orange Saffron & Cardamom Marmalade
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl combine and sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add all premeasured wet ingredients to the flour mixture and whisk just until fully incorporated. Do not over mix cake batter.
- Oil spray or butter a 9x9 square dish, add cake batter and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Balsamic & Mascarpone Mousse –
2 - 8oz containers of mascarpone cream, softened at room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 ½ ounces each of b&o Dark Chocolate balsamic vinegar and Espresso balsamic vinegar
- Whisk the dark chocolate and espresso balsamic with the mascarpone cream. Set aside.
- In a large separate bowl, whisk the heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in the balsamic mascarpone with a spatula until fully incorporated.
Sauteed Greens with Pan Seared Tomatoes and Fromage
2 lbs Spinach, Kale or Chard, washed, dried and roughly chopped
¼ cup b&o Mediterranean Blend premium evoo
12 cloves Garlic, rough chopped or sliced
1 tsp Red Chili flake
1 Tbsp Single-Varietal premium extra-virgin olive oil
1 pint Fresh Heirloom or grape tomatoes
7 oz round Burrata di Bufala(available at B&O Encinitas)
- Place olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add garlic & sauté until garlic is fragrant.
- Add chopped greens & cook until greens are soft and garlic is cooked.
- Season with chili flake, salt & pepper.
- While greens are cooking, heat a smaller skillet on high heat.
- Add 1T evoo to skillet. Once evoo shimmers, add tomatoes & cook quickly until charred. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and add balsamic. Swirl to coat tomatoes.
- Place greens on a serving platter, top with tomatoes and add nice slices of the burrata di bufala or cheese of choice. Mt Tam from Cowgirl Creamery works beautifully here as well.
- Sprinkle with Cypress Flake sea salt.
- Serve at once with warm, crusty baguette and a lovely red wine. Top baguette slices with greens, tomatoes & cheese. Add additional evoo if you must.
Chef Maria’s Pork Belly Sliders w/Roasted Pepper Aioli & Pickled Onion Slaw
2lb pork belly
b&o fish taco seasoning
1 cup good quality mayonnaise
1 jar Frantoio roasted pepper paste
1Tbsp b&o Chipotle evoo
1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
1 jar Pernicious Pickles pickled onions, chopped
1 small red cabbage, finely shredded
1Tbsp b&o Mediterranean evoo
1Tbsp b&o White balsamic vinegar
1 package of Hawaiian sweet rolls
- Slowly roast pork belly slab, loosely tented in foil, in 225F oven for 4-6 hours. Remove from oven and let cool. Slice into ½” thick slices and sprinkle with fish taco seasoning. Brown in cast iron skillet until crispy. Drain & set aside.
- Blend 1 cup mayo with 2-3Tbsp pepper paste, 1 Tbsp. chipotle evoo and 2Tbsp chopped chives. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Chop onions and add to cabbage with evoo, white balsamic vinegar, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Assemble sliders on roll, layering aioli, pork belly, and slaw. Garnish with a skewer.
Roasted Potato & Green Bean Salad
1-1/2 lbs. potatoes (Yukon gold, red, purple, similar in size or cut
2 T. b&o Basil evoo
salt & pepper to taste
½ lb. green beans, blanched
1 jar b&o borettane onions
1 small red onion, sliced thin
½ lb. pecorino toscano, cut into ½” cubes
1 jar b&o frantoio pesto
- Preheat oven to 450F. Take clean & dry potatoes, toss them with basil evoo, salt & pepper. Place on sheet pan and roast until fork tender and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes, depending on size.
- While potatoes are roasting, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and throw in green beans and blanch for 2-3 minutes. Immediately remove and place in an ice bath. Drain and set aside.
- Quarter half a jar’s worth of the borettane onions and set aside.
- Place roasted potatoes, green beans, both onions and pecorino toscano in a large bowl. Add jar of basil pesto and toss gently to combine all ingredients.
Sesame Soba Noodle Bowl
8 ounce package soba noodles
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T brown sugar
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T b&o tangerine balsamic
2 T b&o roasted sesame oil
1/4 cup b&o Chiquitita evoo
1 T b&o Harissa evoo
1 carrot &1 red pepper, julienned
1 cucumber, sliced thin
2-3 green onions, bias sliced
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions, rinse or shock in an ice bath, and set aside in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together next seven ingredients (soy sauce through harissa evoo). Set aside.
- Prep all veggies while noodles are cooking. Add veggies and dressing to noodles. Toss gently and garnish with sesame seed, peanuts and basil leaf.
Serve as is or alongside a favorite grilled item. Enjoy!
Tangerine Balsamic Sauce/Marinade:
1 T honey
2 T b&o tangerine balsamic
1 T soy sauce
1 T b&o roasted sesame oil
One knob of ginger, grated
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl or blender and set aside until ready to use. Works perfect with any poultry, meat or shellfish.